A Brief History
Woodlands International School is accredited by and follows the highly internationally acclaimed Cambridge (CIE) and International Primary Curriculum (IPC) Curricula which incorporates a secure backbone of skills and knowledge combined with a stress on interactive, applied learning leading to independent, critical thinkers who are prepared to meet the increasing demands placed upon young adults in an ever changing and highly competitive global community. Woodlands International School opened its doors on Monday 10th June to great joy and excitement as expressed by many in the Sibu and wider communities. As the first international school in the area, families have been welcomed through the doors of our newly established facilities, incorporative of air-conditioned classrooms, a dedicated Kindergarten Block, Science Laboratories, Computer Rooms, Primary and Kindergarten Play Areas, Swimming Pool, Basketball, Tennis and Volleyball Courts, Library and extensive Multipurpose Hall for sports and celebrating the Musical and Dramatic Arts.
Vision, Mission, Core Values Statements
The Winning Combination of Knowledge, Skills, Values and Leadership with Humility
A dynamic learning community that nurtures students with a global outlook and Godly character.
To nurture creative thinkers, lifelong learners and compassionate leaders who aspire to noble values.
Core Values Statement
To serve humbly, love sincerely, learn continuously, lead wisely and live responsibly.
Together We Shine!
Our Aspiration and Philosophy Statements
Woodlands International School seeks to establish itself as the provider of a high quality, internationally recognised and ‘value added’ educational programme; using a variety of innovative teaching strategies and best practice in a holistic, interactive and child centred approach; where every student is valued and given the opportunity to aspire to achieve their full potential in all spheres of life.
Our aim at Woodlands International School is to prepare our students for life in a rapidly changing global community. We encourage our students to be inquiring, knowledgeable and empathetic, showing respect for all people and communities. We respect equality and diversity and encourage team-work and school spirit. We provide a secure, nurturing and stimulating learning environment and an inquiry-based curriculum using the Cambridge and IPC programmes which are delivered in an engaging, flexible, creative and challenging way promoting a philosophy of education for all, whilst building character and preparing our students to become responsible and confident global citizens. The Woodlands International School experience inspires its learners to develop a sense of pride and commitment to making a difference. A transparent and reflective partnership between students, teachers, family and community is fundamental to our goal.
We believe in the importance of:
- Innovation: Encouraging creative problem-solving and confident adaptation to change.
- Respect: Fostering empathy and integrity to nurture a caring responsibility within a diverse global community.
- Engagement: Challenging and inspiring understanding through active curiosity and individual involvement in learning.
- Relevance: Accessing and discerning real life connections between intellectual experience and the changing world.
With these ideas we aim to develop innovative, principled, and insightful leaders who are ready to engage with and make a positive contribution both in Malaysia and internationally.
Our Commitment Statements
- We are committed to creating and sustaining a happy, nurturing school where every individual is valued and treated with respect, honesty and integrity.
- We celebrate the pursuit of lifelong learning and are committed to nurturing high self-esteem and respect for others.
- We are committed to offering a diverse and extensive international programme that supports personal, social and professional growth.
- We are committed to the enhancement of the whole child by empowering students to maximise their learning opportunities and to fulfil their potential in all spheres of life.
- We respect the individuality of each student. Each student is valued and is seen as a unique individual. Our students are encouraged to value and respect themselves whilst learning to understand, appreciate and accept the differences in others.
- We are committed to empowering students with an understanding of social and civic responsibility which seeks to explore and promote the common good and which values social justice, cultural diversity and the emotional and physical well-being of others.
- We are committed to enabling students to understand the world in which they live and the interdependence of individuals, groups and nations. We aim to inspire, challenge and actively support our students and each other to become positive participants in a changing world.
- We are committed to empowering students with the knowledge of how to care and protect their environment.
- We are committed to attracting and retaining staff who are committed to a team ethos whilst providing instructional excellence in an engaging, stimulating and caring environment, where each student’s welfare is central.
- We are committed to an active partnership between students, teachers, parents, the school administration and the community.
- We are committed to ensuring high standards of behaviour within the school and the community, using the four key principles of-‘Trust, Respect, Commitment and Responsibility’.
- Our commitment to celebrating our diversity nurtures growth, responsibility, and productivity within a positive school-wide atmosphere; promoting sportsmanship, school spirit, and pride in ourselves through our daily routines and our educational accomplishments.
Why Choose Woodlands?
As the only international school in the area, Woodlands International School provides a nurturing and wholesome learning environment where students can hone, develop and apply their talents and skills in a supportive and understanding framework, where ideas, opinions and creativity is valued. As well as running the IPC at the Early Years and Primary levels, Woodlands is an accredited Cambridge centre and as such we run the full Cambridge Programme at Primary, Lower Secondary, IGCSE and A Level as pre-university entry. At Woodlands we nurture the whole child, encouraging our students to be independent, articulate and globally aware and there is a firm expectation for our students to make a difference within their community and to invest their values and talents wisely. At Woodlands, wholesome values and positive character traits are highly valued and nurtured through early morning devotion and assemblies, enabling our students to be guided into being highly productive and invested young adults within the wider community as well as further afield.
Our School Logo
The Woodlands International School Logo is a unification of the initial ‘W’ and the Wallaces Hawk-Eagle image. The eagle is representative of the power of spiritual strength and carries the characteristics of vision, being fearless, being a high-flyer, tenacity, vitality and of nurturing. The Wallaces Hawk-Eagle is a breed of eagle found mainly in tropical Asia (specifically, the Malay Peninsula, Sumatra and Borneo/East Malaysia). They are slender-bodied, medium-sized hawk-eagles with rounded wings, long feathered legs, barred wings, crests and usually adapted to forest habitats. Its habitat is evergreen forests, chiefly lowlands and on lower hill slopes. It can survive in heavily degraded habitats such as in heavily logged forest areas within Malaysia. Biblical References to the eagle design concept… Psalm 103:5, Isaiah 40:31, Proverbs 23:5, Deuteronomy 32:11
Learning at Woodlands
Woodlands International School provides a supportive and nurturing learning environment that encourages practical, hands-on, real-life and relevant learning experiences where students can invest their talents positively and become passionate as regards the subject material in which they immerse themselves. The combined attributes of the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) and Cambridge (CIE) facilitate students to study a wide breadth of subject material in as great a depth as their intellect and passion can enable. The teachers at Woodlands are highly experienced, nurturing and understanding individuals who as well as internationally diverse are caring, creative and dynamic in their outlook and teaching styles. As such they are highly dedicated to their students and the families of Woodlands, whilst also being part of a supportive and happy school community with a real sense of family at its core.
Our policy on school uniform is based on the notion that school uniform:
- Promotes a sense of pride in the school
- Engenders a sense of community and belonging towards the school
- Is practical and smart
- Identifies students with the school
- Prevents students from coming to school in “fashionable” clothes that could be distracting in class
- Makes students feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance
- Is regarded as suitable wear for school and good value for money by most parents
- Is designed with health and safety in mind
Jewelry - On Health and Safety grounds we do not allow students to wear jewelry with the exception of earring studs in pierced ears, and small objects of religious significance. Students are required to remove these objects during PE and Games, or cover them with a plaster, to prevent them from causing injury. The school takes no responsibility for the loss of such items.
Footwear - Students are required to wear regulation footwear at all times (black shoes and black or white socks). Sports shoes must have non-marking soles and be worn for all indoor sports and physical education activities.
Make – Up - No make-up is permitted. This also includes lip gloss and nail varnish.
Hair - The school does not permit students to have ‘extreme’ haircuts or to colour their hair. All hair must be kept neat with long hair tied back at all times.
Facial hair is only permitted for students on religious grounds.
PE / Games Activities - Students are required to wear the school sports uniform for all Physical Education/Games activities. Non-marking sports shoes are required for all indoor sports.
Swimwear - Swimsuits for girls must be one piece – bikinis or two-piece swimming attire is not permitted. Boys are required to wear swimming trunks or a UV Swimsuit – beach attire is not acceptable.